2011年3月14日星期一

R.I.P. Cloe the Snow Leopard: All Big Cats Go To Heaven

Several months ago, I wrote about Cloe, the magnificent snow leopard, living at the loving

sanctuary, Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Florida, who was treated for kidney stones with

lithotripsy.

Unfortunately, the day my husband and I visited Big Cat Rescue, the weather was extremely hot

and humid. Cloe was ensconced in her air-conditioned den, napping away the afternoon. While I

was deeply disappointed that I didn't get to meet Cloe, I often thought about her and hoped

that on my next trip I would have the opportunity to visit her.

So I was deeply saddened the other day to learn that Cloe had died shortly before her 14th

birthday. Even though the choice was difficult, since Cloe was suffering from kidney failure,

having her put to sleep was the final gift of love Carole Baskin, the founder of Big Cat

Rescue, could give this beautiful cat. According to Carole, Cloe had lived longer than most

snow leopards. Along with the sadness of Cloe's death, the words Carole wrote soon after the

snow leopard passed touched me so deeply I felt compelled to share them here.

"I shut off the snow leopard cave air conditioner for the last time tonight- 3/8/11. Cloe the

snow leopard had just left her exquisite body and was bound for that place where all good

cats go when they die. As I walked into the office, the chorus of lions stopped me in my

tracks to listen. An over-sized butterfly began circling me and then perched on a branch

right above my head for a long moment, before disappearing high into the boughs of the tree

and darkening sky. I felt it was Cloe; happy to finally be free and wanted to share the

moment with you. She kept circling before stopping to say, 'good-bye', and leaving. Thank

you, everyone, for giving her, and all of these cats, the best lives possible."

The ability to love that deeply is truly a precious gift that should never be taken for

granted. At the same time, it is always risky for us to allow our hearts to open to an animal

and share that special bond. For at the precise moment we open to that love, we also open to

the grief we will eventually suffer when that animal dies.

It doesn't really matter if the beloved animal is a dog, cat, bird or fish, or any other

member of the animal kingdom. When we have been blessed with such a joyful relationship, we

cannot avoid the extraordinary pain and sadness that comes at the time of loss.

没有评论:

发表评论