2011年12月6日星期二

Missus won’t stop me hitting rivals

The WBA and IBF world light-welterweight champ has a date with destiny on Saturday night when he defends his titles against Lamont Peterson.

He also has a date with Faryal Makhdoom some time soon as they are planning to get married after Khan admitted she is the one for him.

Girlfriend Faryal has never been to a boxing match and Khan is not sure how the 20-year-old student from New York will react when he starts trading punches with Peterson at the Washington Convention Centre.

But Khan, who will be 24 tomorrow, is sure of one thing — that he will never change.

He said: "Getting married won't change me. I will still be the same way. Faryal knew what I did for a living when we met. My sport will always be important to me. The family are good in that kind of situation because they take the pressure off me.

"Fighting must still come first while I am trying to achieve my aim of becoming the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

"She understands that. My fiancee knows my sport will come first because it is what I do."

Khan is waiting to hear if his girlfriend will be ringside to watch him live for the first time or whether she will watch on TV with his mum Falak back at their hotel here in DC.

Mum Falak used to watch all her son's fights from ringside but, as the bouts have got tougher and Khan takes more punishment, she has sat back at the hotel. She also does not want to see another woman's son get hurt by her own.

Khan added: "My fiancee may be at the fight but, then again, she may stay at the hotel with my mum. That does not really bother me either way because I am always 100 per cent focused when I am in the ring.

"I think of nothing except the fight ahead. I cannot afford to be distracted by anything or anyone.

"But, yes, I am looking forward to seeing her. It seems as if I have been in training camp in Los Angeles for ages. I've missed her."

Khan splashed out recently on an engagement sparkler for Faryal but he admitted: "I haven't even given her the ring yet!"

Hilary Clinton is another woman who may be ringside and Khan reckons he has a lot to thank the US Secretary of State for.

Border officials always used to stop Khan for extensive questioning when he arrived in the United States. But after meeting Mrs Clinton at an awards dinner for Muslims in sport, he no longer gets detained quite as long.

Khan was held for around three hours in his early days travelling to America to train with Freddie Roach.

He added: "I'd get here and my name would be flagged as a potential terrorist.

"I always had problems getting into the United States even when some of the officers from Mexico or Philippines recognised me as a boxer. They had to obey rules and detain me.

"I only waited 30 minutes this time! On some occasions I have been straight through without any delay at all. It's nice when that happens. I think the problem has been solved now so hopefully I won't get put in a room and left to wait again.

"But I know it only happens because of the world we live in.

"The officers are only doing their job and try to make sure only the right people get into the country."

World heavyweight champ WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO revealed he suffered the worst pain of his life — from kidney stones.

没有评论:

发表评论